Monday, May 7, 2012

3 Words: SciFi, Fun, Outlantacon


LtoR: Kiernan Kelly, Kage Alan, Kayelle Allen,
Hushicho Phoenix, TC Blue
I attended Outlantacon over the weekend. This friendly, local event has become my favorite convention of the year. What is it? Outlantacon is an Atlanta-based event for the Queer Geek audience. It has all the usual convention fare -- discussion panels, gaming, costuming, special events, etc. The difference is a queer 'bent' to everything. Here you can enjoy all the convention trappings in an atmosphere where you're free to be yourself! There were some unique twists, such as game shows like you've never seen them. The Match Game (a staple since 2007), Project Cosplay (introduced in 2010) and Nea's Drag Race (added in 2011) were all outrageously fun. There were film screenings by Paul Bright (Goliath Uprising, Altitude Falling), and by Jevocas Green and Eric Green (Uncanny X-Men, Between Lines).

Click any picture for a larger image of all pix on this page. Many of those featured in this article were interviewed on my Romance Lives Forever blog.
Denny Upkins, Eugie Foster,
Shae Connor

A full Writer's Workshop took place, and included the following topics:
  • How NOT to Get Published
  • Creating Grabber First Paragraphs
  • Character Creation and Development
  • Storytelling and Plotting
  • Self-Promotion and Marketing
  • Social Media
  • The Blogging Author
Other panels included Fan Fiction to Published Writer, Job by Day - Writer by Night,  and LGBT Literature.

"Help! I Live with an Author!"
George, Ed, Butch
Next year's writer's workshops promise to be even bigger, and will include publishers looking for GLBT literature and themes.

"Comrades in Arms"
Butch, and Ed
One of the best panels was one of the last: "Help! I Live with an Author!" It included words of advice (and some amusing confessions) by George Martindale (Lee Martindale's hubby), Butch Zonka (Kiernan Kelly's hubby), and a last minute addition of my own hubby, Ed. These guys go above and beyond. Lee says George is the official "schlepper" of her writing business, and he concurred. "Books," he said with a stoic smile, "are heavy." Butch is Kiernan's Publicist, coffee-deliverer, and business manager, and Ed keeps me going by taking care of details and giving me the freedom I need to write. None of us could do what we do with as much zip and aplomb if we had to do it alone. I nabbed a picture of Butch and Ed manning Kiernan's table in the dealer's room. These guys are the best sports ever.

Paul Bright, Kage Alan, Eugie Foster,
Kayelle Allen, Shae Connor, (not pictured: Jevocas Green)
Kage Alan, Paul Bright, Eugie Foster, and Shae Connor shared a panel with me called Social Media (picture above).This panel was fun, and it ended with Hushicho Phoenix taking pictures for us with each of our cameras (a patient man!). Someone in the background chimed in, "This is supposed to be about Social Media. One of you take a picture and then share it!" =^_^=
Jevocas Green
Andrew Greenberg
"Reading Comics"

Hushicho also taught panels on male anatomy (he's a gifted artist), and was on several panels with me, including Vampire: the Ultimate Other (with Denny Upkins), and Storytelling and Plotting. Before that panel started, copanelists Andrew Greenberg and Jevocas Green discussed cartoon images (right). Uh, yeah, I'm sure that's what they meant when they were talking about gripping Thor's Hammer! LOL! I was lucky enough to get several hugs from Jevocas (aka Java), but didn't get a picture of myself with him this time. I did nab one of me with the amazing (and tall!) Moxie Magnus, but the picture came out pixelated. >_< I need a better camera for next year. 

Do you take pictures at cons? What camera do you use? Which con is your favorite?

10 comments:

  1. It was great seeing you and Ed again, Kayelle. I had the most wonderful time this weekend - as I always do. OutlantaCon is my favorite con of the year as well. It's like coming home. :)

    Kiernan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that describes, it Kiernan. It's like coming home. I look forward to it every year. Was so fun to hang out with you two again.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like such a fantastic event. Thank you for posting the pictures and all about it. I would love to go to a few cons myself like San Diego Comicon, Toronto ComiCon, Dragon Con and the list goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my. You would have SO much fun! And if you ever go to Dragoncon let me know. I try to be there every year. We can hang out! ^_^

      Delete
  3. Loved every second of it and was delighted to meet both you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too. Your shirts were the bomb. ^_^ "Oooh... Kitty!" Here's to next year!

      Delete
  4. I loved this weekend and I miss you all so much! I hope you enjoy that incense and I was honoured to share panels with you and to be able to share time with you this weekend. I really wish Outlantacon could be twice a year -- it's the best part of my year! I can't wait for next year. Stay wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read this I could hear it in your voice. That's so cool. ^_^ I love the incense. I have it in my little workroom and don't even have to light it to enjoy the fragrance. One advantage of a teensy room. LOL

      I agree - it should be this way more often. What a treat it would be to get together more often. I hope you'll come to DragonCon. Maybe we can have a get together there.

      Delete
  5. This is an early post but I just wanted to say “Thank You” for letting me be included in your Hop Against Homophobia. I am afraid I am not a talented m/m fiction writer like yourself but I am an avid reader of it.

    I guess I do not fit into any category really since I write non-fiction for an adult studio. http://shadowsterling.blogspot.com/2012/04/studio-i-write-for.html

    But this is a cause I feel strongly about and I wanted to let you know I appreciate the opportunity to be included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading your blog. Made me laugh. :) I'm glad you are hanging out with us for the upcoming hop. Thanks for introducing me to ETR. I posted a button, liked them on FB and followed them on Twitter.

      Delete