Monday, April 2, 2012

Beginning the Row 80 Challenge Kayelle Allen 040212

Row 80. 
I'm beginning the Row 80 Challenge today. What is that? It's the writing challenge that knows you have a life and doesn't expect you to drop out of it to get something done. Find out more here: http://aroundofwordsin80days.wordpress.com/ 

I don't do NaNo. I'm happy for those who do, but I don't write well under that kind of pressure. Besides, if I say I'm going to write 1000 words a day, and I write a great scene that's complete and ready to go but it's only 728 words, have I failed? I don't think so. So, no, I don't do X-words-a-day-or-bust writing challenges. They don't appeal to me. If they float your boat, go for it.

I'm going to complete a ms called Surrender Trust by June 15, 2012. I have written 77,712 words so far. I am halfway through chapter twenty-two. This will be a big book - a full sized novel. It's a sequel, and the middle book of a trilogy. I've been fighting with it for three long freaking years.


My specific, measurable goal
I will write five days per week, for one hour per day. I do not have a goal of X number of words, because within one hour I might write ten perfect words, a thousand that need huge amounts of editing, or five hundred that aren't too bad and can be tweaked on the next go around. The point is to spend the time writing. If I'm on the internet, I can't accomplish the goal. If I'm playing spider solitaire, it's not happening. I can't email friends and write the book. So that's my goal. Take it or leave it. 

I'm committed. I've worked on this book for so long that it worries me. There are times when I think I'll never get past it. Right now, I can't quit and go work on other things, because of contracts and obligations. Scared? Yes. Worried? A little. But I refuse to quit. So there.

4 comments:

  1. I did NaNo once and did not finish due to the lack of time...This sounds like a cool thing to do...Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Savannah. I like that it acknowledges the other factors in my life and only lasts for an 80 day period. I will be posting Wed and Sun updates as part of my commitment.

      Delete
  2. Oh this seems to be more my speed. I like NaNoWriMo, but November is absolutely the worst month of the year for me to dive into writing a novel. I think I might give this challenge a try, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tricia! I have never gotten into NaNo. Too intense for me. I don't like feeling rushed. This is more my speed. I've written more this week than I have in the past two months, so something's working! ^_^ Let me know if you do this. You are here right at the beginning.

      Delete