Friday, February 10, 2012

A Valentine to Remember

Click to Join or Rejoin the Blog Tour
I asked my husband for ideas on how to make a memorable Valentine's Day date for two that didn't require a lot of money, and was something he would enjoy doing. Here were some of the things the two of brainstormed. Which of these would appeal to you and your Valentine?

Pack a fun, light dinner in a picnic basket and head to the airport. There is small airport not far from our house, and you can park outside the fence and watch planes take off and land. Have the picnic while you try to come up with ideas about where the various planes might be headed. For example, a large plane has a greater distance, so it might be bound for a more exotic location than a small, light aircraft. Talk about where you think it's going and what you would do if you were going there.

Hubby surprised me with his picnic idea.
Look through some travel magazines and pick a location ahead of time where you wish you could go. If it's cold outside, have an indoor picnic (my husband surprised me with the picnic theme, believe me). Open the curtains to let in sunlight. Lay a blanket on the floor and sit down together. Pretend you are having a picnic in the location you chose, and role-play what you see. "Oh look! There's a dolphin pod out there past the waves!" Or, if you can go outside, have your picnic in a park and pretend you're in a different place, like New York City's Central Park.

Bottom line, whatever you do, take the time to share something tasty, cuddle, and dream. Dreaming is what brings a couple together. Without a vision, without a dream, there is no future.

At the end of your "date" -- commit to your relationship and to each other, and make plans for the real thing later. Then set about planning your next imaginary date to another memorable location only the two of you can share.
- - -
If you happened along this blog on a blog hop called Cupid's Choice, you arrived from here:
PRIZES
At the Mercy of Her Pleasure
The Cupid's Choice bloghop is givng away a Nook preloaded with books from the participants. One of mine is included (Alitus, Tales of the Chosen). I will also give away a copy of At the Mercy of Her Pleasure to one winner drawn by JustRomanceMe (any eformat). As always, if one of my winners already has the book I'm giving away, I will substitute one of my others.

- - -
About the Author
Kayelle Allen is an award-winning, multi-published author. Her heroes and heroines include badass immortals, warriors who purr, and agents who find...well, the unfindable. And sometimes (shh!) make them disappear again. She is known for unstoppable heroes, uncompromising love, and unforgettable passion. You can find her on the web in these places:
Homeworld http://kayelleallen.com
Facebook http://facebook.com/kayelleallen.author
Twitter http://twitter.com/kayelleallen
Other Blog http://romancelivesforever.blogspot.com

41 comments:

  1. I love your picnic idea. Very romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gem! I was very surprised when my husband suggested this, because he's not big on picnics. My daughter and her husband went to the airport to watch planes come and go on their first date. We used to take the kids when they were little -- my hubby grew up in Alaska, and learned to fly before he could drive a car. You have to fly up there to go just about anywhere, so planes were a big part of our lives for many years. Our daughter's interest in planes really captured her boyfriend's attention. He was studying to become a pilot. In fact, I think their first date was dinner, going to see Apollo 13 (Tom Hanks), and the airport. I'd have thought they were just parking -- and no doubt that was part of it, LOL -- but afterward they both came in to talk and told us all about the flight patterns and how they listened in with a scanner to the airline chatter. They now take their kids to watch planes and go to airshows. So having a picnic at the airport is something hubby and I will likely do in the not so distant future -- after all Valentine's Day is next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the picnic at the small airport idea a lot. Maybe I'll use it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Michelle! It's different, that's for sure. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your post, great picnic idea! I hope you have a Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful idea, Kayelle. It's not about how much money you spend, it's just enjoying time with the one that you love.


    caity_mack at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true, Cathy! Some of my most memorable dates cost me very little. It's the time and thought put into them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your idea is so sweet...As long as one is creative you can come up with so much and the cost could be next to nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ideas! Love the post, Kayelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks, Alanna. I visited your blog today too, hopping along on the tour. Your site rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, thanks Savannah. When I stipulated that the date had to cost very little, the hunt for creative ideas was on! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hubby is a very smart man. There is definitely nothing more romantic than a picnic and it doesn't matter where you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, thanks Nina! I'm pretty fond of him. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the post. My husband & I actually did do that for Valentine's Day one year right after we moved into our new home about 10 years ago. We didn't have very much money and really didn't want to face all the crowds and stuff at a restaurant, so we went to McDonalds, got some food and parked near the end of the LAX airport runway by the beach and had a picnic in the car. It was corny and cute and we had a blast watching the planes take off and eating hamburgers and fries. <^_^>

    Thanks for being part of the hop and for the chance to win such a fantastic prize!
    reneebennett35(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your handle, Nay Nay. ^_^ That does sound like fun. Being together is the best part of any date, no matter where you are or what you're doing. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic idea!

    elizabeth @ bookattict . com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, your name was drawn as the winner on my blog. I emailed you! Please let me know what format ebook you prefer, and your gift will be on its way. Congratulations!

      Delete
  17. Thank you, ma'am. ^_^ Thank you for dropping by. Hope you enjoy the entire hop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always wondered if the significant others of romance authors are all romantics...
    your husband sounds like a gem. Enjoy your valentines day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the picnic idea. We do something like that, we just go to a park and sit with our picnic and talk and enjoy the time together. My husband would enjoy the airport idea though.

    skpetal at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. CAHM, Mine is a gem for sure. I'm blessed. He tells me he loves me every single day and treats me with respect. I adore the man. :)

    Jean, That sounds fun! Getting away from kids, job, work, others... it's so important. The thousand distractions pull us apart.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does he have a brother????????? :)
    kimberlyjuliene @ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love to do picnics anyway. We just pack some lunchmeat, bread, condiments, cookies/twinkies type stuff, maybe some chips and sodas. We try and find a park that we haven't been to and go there and just sit and admire the scenery and talk.
    luvfuzzzeeefaces at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Picnics are a wonderful way to share a romantic time together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the picnic idea! How romantic!! Thanks for the great giveaway!
    Ashley A
    ash_app@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post! Wonderful ideas! Thanks for sharing! Happy Valentines!
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Anonymous... ;) Yep. He has a younger brother. Happily married. Isn't that the way it always is? LOL

    Julianne, Now that is a true picnic. Esp the Twinkie part!

    Stacia, a picnic for two could be romantic even if all you had was crackers and peanut butter, right? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ashley, you're so welcome. Thank you for coming over to my house to play. ^_^

    Shadow, And thank you for dropping by. Happy Valentines to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow that great idea for the holiday
    well me when i was working at the thrift store my bf came in with carnation for me and then gave the ladies all carnations and that was even the boss who was big bi..ch
    and then gave me necklace of heart and then 4 day later my bd took me to dinner and karokee

    desi the blonde at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Desi, that was sweet of him! I imagine everyone talked about that. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  30. thatis teh sweetest thing ever and such a good idea for anydate not just V-day! tyf or sharing


    mortalsinn(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great ideas! I like lighting at least a dozen candles in the family room and put on quiet music. We take turns giving massages and quietly looking at the candles, relaxing. Good time to reconnect with each other.

    books4me67 at ymail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the picnic idea. I will have to try it one day. I hope that you have a happy Valentine's day!
    jessangil at gmail dot com
    -Jessica B

    ReplyDelete
  33. SiNn, cool name and spelling. ^_^ You're right. That works any time.

    Books4me, I like your suggestion. Candles are a favorite way to relax, especially ones with a light scent.

    Jessica, you too! Hope you enjoy it.

    Thanks to each person for stopping by the blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Loved your picnic ideas! Thanks for the awesome giveaway!Happy Valentines Day! angadair@nwcable.net

    ReplyDelete
  35. GREAT post! Sweet man...you're a VERY lucky lady! Thx for sharing your story. Happy Valentines Day <3

    barbbattaglia @ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you Barbara! I am very blessed to have this man. People always ask if he has a brother. LOL

    Happy Valentine's Day to you. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have a friend that does something similar outside an airfield in Virginia. I've always thought it was something i'd like to try as well

    ReplyDelete
  38. Jennifer, I hope you do. It's fun to watch the planes. I can't wait to try a picnic and the idea of guessing where they might go.

    Hubby's very pleased with himself that everyone has liked his idea. Thanks to everyone who's posted.

    ReplyDelete