Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dear Diary -- No, Make That Dear Blog

Kayelle Allen 
What's the difference between a diary and a blog? A diary is for you to share your innermost feelings, thoughts, and desires. A blog is where you tell other people only what you want them to know about those feelings, thoughts, and desires. My desire is for this blog to be a combination. Stuff about me, stuff about what I write -- not how I write it, and not how to tell others about it (that's marketing), but who the person is behind the writing.

Why would I do that?

I've been published since 2004, and have written hundreds of blog posts, probably tens of thousands of emails, and no doubt millions of words. I've posted on blogs all over the net. I never had a blog that was for me to talk about me. For readers to get to know the person behind the author facade. Is Kayelle Allen a facade? Well, maybe that's not the best word. One dictionary I consulted defines it like this:

Facade (1) A showy misrepresentation intended to conceal something unpleasant

Well... I certainly hope I'm not unpleasant. That doesn't sound good, does it? o_O No, I think my author persona probably fits the second definition, which is:

Facade (2): Frontage, the face or front of a building

Window dressing. Hmm. So, does that make me somehow equal to drapes?

I prefer to see my author self as the best of who I am. My best-foot-forward attitude. My who-I-am when I'm on-my-best-behavior self. Okay, those of you who know me best can stop with the giggling. I can hear you all the way over here. LOL

A class I took recently made me realize that of all the things I do online (Facebook, Twitter, blogs, groups, websites), the thing I've left out -- overlooked if you will -- is to let people get to know me. I talk about my characters (especially my immortals) and of course the Kin (my purring warriors). I talk about my writing progress or lack thereof. I talk to other authors about marketing, and how important that is.

What I haven't done is talk to my readers about myself, as a woman.

RomVets
I haven't opened up as a person. As a wife. As a mom. As a grandmother. Yeah. I'm a grandmother. I hope that doesn't fracture your reality. I know my bio usually says something like my heart age is 12 and corrects that to 21. That's because my inside age and outside age are not equal. I may have aged, but I haven't gotten older. Wiser? Yes. Goodness. You couldn't live my life without learning a few things. Smarter? Oh my. Debatable, but we shall see. =^_^= What else haven't I shared? A lot. I may have told you I'm a Navy veteran. Patch-wearing member of RomVets and all. There are a lot of us who served in the military, and who now write Romance. I'm also a former Toastmaster. I love getting up in front of people and talking. That's the number one fear in America, you know. I happen to love public speaking. You'd have to drag my dead body onto a roller coaster to get me on one, but I will happily speak to a convention full of people. Weird, huh?

I hope that as I undertake this blog, talking about my Unstoppable Heroes (and let's not kid ourselves -- writers DO talk about their characters) and my life as the person on the other side of the computer (or book) from you, that you'll be able to make a judgment for yourself about who I am, and whether I'm someone you'd like to get to know. I invite you to talk about yourself and let me get to know you, too. You can talk to me from your heart. I pledge to do the same.

15 comments:

  1. Very cool, Kayelle! (And I love your hunk du jour!) My only nitpick on the site is, it's hard for a lot of people to read white lettering against a black background. Just keep that in mind.

    Otherwise, very cool! I'm following...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christine! That's a good point. I wanted the blog to look like my website, but perhaps a blog needs a different color scheme... I'll look into that. Appreciate you following. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll here I go.Hope this can be posted.
    Love the look and the premise. Best of luck!
    Jeanne Barrack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne! I appreciate you coming over to my house today. ^_^

      Delete
  4. Love the blog, Kayelle. A fun read because it reads just like you think.

    Toni Noel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks, Toni. How nice to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I changed the background color and text in the posting section per a suggestions from Christine, so the colors are now black on white instead of the reverse. It IS easier to read. Great idea. Thanks, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Delaney! Coming from you, that is a real compliment. ^_^

      Delete
  7. Hi Kayelle,

    I find it hard to read white on black, but your main text is black on lite blue so that's not so bad. However you do need a different color for you page header, the white is disappearing into the lite blue. Other than that the arrangement seems fine, I like your first post and I like the eyecandy on the side too. :)

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I fixed the page header. I changed it to match the pink stripe on the left, and made the text white. I think it shows up okay in Firefox. Would appreciate feedback if a different browser sees it in other colors. When I changed the post background I apparently changed the blog description area too. Not sure how I did that! LOL Am I good or what? Yeah, I like Hunk du Jour. You always get good guys, and even celebrities and models who are just yummy. And it updates itself every day. A blogger's friend! Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  8. I look forward to getting to know "you!" Great first post. I can't see the post title, the white blends into the light blue, but the rest of the blog looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debora. I was able to fix that as well. It's been great having this feedback from everyone. I want this blog to be readable by everyone, and appreciate the help I've been given.

      Delete
  9. Hi Kayelle~

    I love this first post, and am looking forward to learning more about you! :)

    I am using IE and I see a pink header (title box) with white writing and the post looks like it is on a grey (very light blue?) background with black writing. Love the pink, and the white is readable, but I think it would be easier for others if it was bold, or a thicker font!

    Love the Sudoku (neat idea) and of course the Hunk is awesome...updates every day, you say? Hmmm...! ;)

    Overall...Looks great! Congrats on your new blog! :)

    ~Jane~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. That's a good idea to make it bold. It looks a bit thin to me as well. Yes, the Hunk updates daily, and I love sudoku, so thought others might like a freebie game of it now and then. ^_^ So happy you dropped by to talk.

      Delete